Friday 21 September 2007

"That's all I've got"

I've been having trouble sleeping.

Mum worked out I'm about 8 hours a day short of what babies my age should be getting.

Early this morning I woke up crying and didn't stop for what dad said must have been at least 45 minutes. Mum checked the clock. It was 12!

Dad reached into his bag of baby wrangling tips and pulled out 'pacing'. He walked up and down the bedroom 'shushing' me for those '45 minutes'. It often works. Not tonight.

He then reached for the 'ok, you can lie between mum and dad in the big bed'. It's got a better strike rate than pacing. I didn't settle.

So he went for the fail-safe 'you can lie on my tummy'. It always works. It didn't work.

"That's all I've got, little baby" he said. Mum was awake, and said she was pleased with dad's efforts, but not the outcomes. She took over with the totally fail-safe, 100% effective option. A comfort feed.

No comments:

My life in pictures