Wednesday 10 December 2008

If at first you don't succeed, try five times

It took me three hours to get to sleep today. Normally I'm pretty good at my daytime sleep and nod off easily at about 11 o'clock and stay asleep for two to three hours. But not today.

Attempt #1 - Today was swimming day and I'm always sleepy after swimming. I was asleep when we arrived home but woke up because some workmen arrived at the same time. Mum decided to give me some morning tea and then try again later.

Attempt #2 - Just as I was about to drift off into dreamland, the workmen knocked on the door and we had to go and investigate. It woke me right up and I spent the next half an hour kicking my football around the family room.

Attempt # 3 - We read a story and I had a cup of warm milk. But do you think I had any intention of sleeping? I wailed and cried and carried on like a pork chop. Mum knew that I was too overtired to settle so we went into the loungeroom and watched Night Garden.

Attempt #4 - My serene disposition while watching Night Garden didn't follow me back into the bedroom. I let mum know exactly what I thought of daytime sleeps! Much more wailing and sobbing and gnashing of teeth.

Attempt #5 - Finally mum did something that hasn't been done since I was a very small baby. She strapped me into my carseat for a few laps around the block. Before we'd even completed one lap, I was completely zonked out. I stayed asleep during the drive home and then during the transfer into bed. Success at last!

No comments:

My life in pictures