Monday 14 May 2007

Whoosh!

What a day.

It all started at 6:30 when mum and dad arrived at the hospital for an induction. Not a fully blown induction, but a little bit of gel to jumpstart the whole birth process. Dad said it was a little like a starter motor - it got the engine running.

Mum had to rest for an hour, and then they had time to pull out a board game!

There was music, cards to play poker with (2 mins into the game they realised they don't know how to play poker - so it was a blessing I arrived early, if only for the boredom a lack of card skills brought)

Around 11 o'clock mum told dad contractions might be pretty bad if the cramps she was having were any indication. They could see the little peaks on the monitor we were hooked up to…The midwife came in and inspected mum and announced 'you're 6cms dilated!' Those cramps were contractions!

Mum had a chance to have one bite of lunch before the tummy pains set in…Dad polished off her lunch, so he was full and she got hungry!

It was 2:45pm when I stuck my cone shaped head out . The doctor had to use a vacuum to turn my head around before the last big push so I had a bit of a lumpy noggin. Mum was told to put her arms down and pull me p and she did, straight onto her chest. That's where I stayed for about an hour. I slowly opened my eyes, had a good look around, dad was busy taking photos from every possible angle of me…

My first wee was on dad. He was taking off my nappy and paused long enough for me to feel the freedom down there and fire away. It went everywhere - on the new nappy, on the floor, on my wrap, on the towel under my wrap. But nobody seemed to care, in fact they were all happy I did a wee. That'll change soon enough…They're also fascinated with my poos and farts too. I'm sure that'll get old real soon!

No comments:

My life in pictures