Sunday 23 December 2007

Naming conventions

We spent the morning packing, the afternoon driving, and the evening reacquainting ourselves with my other grandma and grandad.

Mum and dad were pretty slow packers even before I came along. Throwing in a cot, high chair, and all the other paraphernalia I need, we were an hour behind our ETD.

I slept for most of the trip, and when I woke up I stayed calm, which was a big relief to mum and dad.

I hadn’t seen this grandma and grandad* since I was two months old. They were suitably impressed with my growth, and I impressed them even more with my rolling and sitting up tricks. Even if I dragged out the roll for as long as I could!

*With the hundreds of names kids use for grandparents, how I ended up with two grandmas and two grandads is beyond me.

Originally, mum wanted her parents to be called nanna and pop. Just like she had. Then, dad’s dad said he wouldn’t mind being a ’poppy’ because he really liked his poppy. But mum’s dad didn’t want to be a ‘pop’. And dad’s mum and dad went cold on the ‘poppy’ idea. The washup; I have two grandmas and two granddads.

No comments:

My life in pictures