Tuesday 12 August 2008

Ta

I'm learning to be more polite thanks to a two letter word. Everytime mum or dad hands me a toy or a spoonful of food they'll say 'ta'. It's obvously started to sink in, because today (or should that be 'ta-day') I started saying it too. Although, when I say it, it's more like 'da'. I like my 'd' words.

No one could explain why we say 'ta', apart from the fact all babies say it instead of thank-you. Did you know Norweigians say 'takk' (pronounced 'tuck') instead of thanks, which means if I was Norweigiean I might say 'duck'!

Anyway, tonight, after a full day of ta this and ta that, mum handed me my bottle of milk and said 'ta'. But I was a little bit too excited when I saw the milk, so I held out my hands, but kept my mouth shut. "Ta". Outstretched hands. "Ta". Outstrecthed hands with a little whine. "Ta". Tears. "Say Ta". Outstretched arms and a big whinge. Mum looked at dad, what would they do, wait till I said Ta or until I'd wailed loud enough for everyone in the street to yell out Ta for me? She handed me the bottle and assured dad that it was only early in my thanking career, and that they hadn't failed by handing me a bottle before I expressed gratitude...

No comments:

My life in pictures