Monday 20 August 2007

Dream feed nightmare

Almost two months on from our first unsuccessful dreamfeed, we tried it again.

You remember the concept of the dreamfeed, where the baby has a feed while he's still alseep. It's supposed to keep you going longer through the night. Sort of like planes that get refueled mid flight.

Mum and dad crept into my room with a bottle of expressed milk in hand, gently lifted me out of the cot, and slowly put the bottle in my mouth. I started drinking. Asleep! It was quite a sight apparently. And I kept going and going. I'd sometimes give a little whimper and open my eyes, have a burp, then close them and get back to drinking, and sleeping.

After a good ten or fifteen minutes (I can't quite remember how long it was, I was a sleep after all) we got right down to the bottom of the bottle.

And that's where the plan fell apart.

I opened my eyes and opened my lungs. And I didn't shut either for a very long time. I got so bad mum ended up giving me a bit more of a feed the usual way, and that calmed me down like it usually does. But I wouldn't settle for a long time after that.

I eventually got too tired to whinge, and fell asleep. But we don't know whether we'll try the dreamfeed tonight. Maybe in another two months.

No comments:

My life in pictures