Saturday 1 March 2008

Learning to love trains

I got a big train for Christmas. It makes all sorts of noises, lights up, and even propels itself forwards.

Today I learned how to appreciate it. You see, a few weeks ago mum got it off the shelf plonked it and me on the floor and pressed the 'go' button. My reaction was not what she hoped. I bawled, and got the shakes. It freaked me out!

So the train went back on the shelf for a week or so. I'll happily play with the train when the power's not turned on, but as soon as the lights flash and the 'woot woot' sound of the train fills the air, I became railophobic (is that what you call the fear of trains?)

This afternoon dad decided it was time to conquer my fear. I was in the kitchen and he sat the train down next to me and explained that it was 'live' - that is, he had turned the power on, and if I banged my hand on the chinmey, the train would light up.

When it fired up, I stared, but didn't cry. I even crawled after it after a few goes. I then spent the rest of the afternoon with the train in my lap, pressing the light and sound buttons.

Job done!

No comments:

My life in pictures