Monday 18 February 2008

Moonwalk

I don't like falling asleep in my cot. I prefer falling asleep on mum or dad's shoulder.

Our routine usually involves a few songs to soothe me, and after a few minutes I'll finally rest my head on a shoulder. I'll look around a few times and lie back down, and finally I'll shut my eyes and fall asleep.

Then I'll be lowered slowly into the cot. For the first few times each night I'll immediately wake up at the first hint of a change in angle. I'll cry and I'll be picked up and the whole thing starts again.

Finally, after the songs have been sung a thousand times, and I'm totally exhausted, and mum and dad are exhausted, I'll stay asleep when they lie me in the cot. But the whole process isn't finished until mum or dad get out of the room quietly. And that's hard to do with creaky old floorboards. They end up walking really slowly in big exaggerated moves - like astronauts on the moon - trying not to make a noise. And if all goes well, I'll stay asleep for a few hours. And if all goes realy well I'll sleep until morning.

No comments:

My life in pictures