Thursday 28 June 2007

Meltdown

How quickly things change. Less than twenty four hours after my very successful visit to the paediatrician I had the worst visit of my life. And it was to the man who helped bring me into the world.

Mum had to go and have a check up with the obstetrician and I came along too. Aunty Lyndall was there for support. And boy did we need some support.

Here are the statements from two witnesses;

"Noah had an unsettled morning, so even in the car he was a bit grumpy. Walking to the doctor's surgery he seemed okay, and he was fairly quiet when we first arrived. However, he soon got a bit grumpy, and loud. His mum whipped him outside the waiting room so he wouldn't disturb everyone in the office. I stayed with the bags in the waiting room. You could still hear a muffled cry in the distance from the rooms, except when the door opened and then it got a lot louder! He eventually came back in, and mum went to her appointment, and I was left, literally, holding the baby. I was thinking, 'work with me here buddy'. At the first sign of a screwed up face I stuck my finger in his mouth, and he was fine. We had a little chat, and when his mum came out we were both quite relieved." Aunty Lyndall.

"Noah had the look of an unstable explosive from the moment we arrived at the doctor's. At the start he looked very tense but managed to get through the introductions with the receptionists. I could see he was working up to something so I stuck my finger in his mouth to keep him quiet, but he wasn't having a bar of it. We went outside and spent the next ten minutes pacing past the different offices, sharing the noise with everyone. We went back into the waiting room and were offerered a quiet room (sort of like a 'time out' area!) to settle him down. They were saying 'does he need to be fed' and I was thinking 'you tell me, you see hundreds of babies every day'. I gave him a feed and handed him over to his aunty. I was a little bit tense and listening out for his familiar cry while I was with the doctor." Mum.

We all survived, but mum was a little embarrassed and quite frazzled when it was all over. The good news is that she was given a clean bill of health, just like I was yesterday.

Do I like paediatricians more than obstetricians? Possibly. But the moral of the story is, yesterday's baby is not today's baby. Sorry mum.

No comments:

My life in pictures