Monday 25 June 2007

Watching grass grow

My fascination with all things window related has taken another step. I'm looking through the windows into the outside world. Mum says I stare so much, and often, that I'm probably enjoying watching the grass grow.

That's a good thing, because today a very special piece of grass poked up through the dirt.

Dad planted a couple of grass trees ('black boys' for anyone born BPCTOOL - 'before political correctness took over our language') on the day I arrived home and they sprouted today. These plants are notoriously slow growing, taking many years to develop the famous trunk, that's why most people buy the harvested ones from the bush. But you can buy seeds, and dad thought it would be a nice thing to plant a tree on the day I was born. We got a bit busy that day, so we did it on the day I got home from hospital. Getting the seeds was an adventure in itself, most nurseries around here didn't have them so two days before I was born dad high-tailed it to Logan to buy a packet. Fortunately I didn't decide to come halfway through his seed buying expedition or mum might have not been so happy about this project.



We've got one for me when I grow up, and one for mum and dad to keep. And a spare. Cool huh?
And on a completely different subject, we posted the thank you cards and letters (some of you lucky ones get a letter - on giraffe paper no less!) today.

And I must welcome my newest second cousin into the world. Hi Rupert! He was nine pounds something - I don't think I'm every going to be able to give any of these little kids my old clothes, cause the little kids are bigger than me!

1 comment:

Rosie said...

I love that idea!

My life in pictures