Friday 22 June 2007

Not so fast

Dad's been home this week, and it's been a good time for us to learn what a family of three is all about, rather than the family of two that existed long before I showed up. Sometimes people say to dad, 'isn't it good that you're a family now'. Now? He and mum were a family for seven years before I was born. I don't know who decided families had to have more than two members to qualify...Probably comes from the same place the old wives tales we keep hearing come from, but that's another story...

Dad says before I arrived there were a lot more spontanious trips outside. To the beach. To the shops. To dinner.

There were less jobs to be done around the house too. And a lot less clothes to be washed!

He says there was a lot more sleep to be had too!

But in all this busyness, he reckons life has slowed down at the same time. There's more to do, but things can't get rushed.

Dad likes to get jobs done quickly. At the start that included getting me to sleep. A quick pat, a bit of a rock and then out of the room to get back to whatever it was he was doing. But sometimes that's not enough for me. Sometimes I take a good half an hour to get to sleep, and I liked to be patted and held and 'shhh'ed. Sometimes I'll go to sleep straight away, but sometimes i'll skip my afternoon nap altogether. Sometimes I like to drink my milk slowly too. So it's been decided to set our clocks to baby time, which isn't as constant as Greenwich mean-time, or even dad's Fossil watch, sometimes it's more like the doomsday clock!

Sometimes the day won't feel like it's started and it's already afternoon, yet we've already had two feeds and a little sleep, and mum and dad are still in their PJs! Jobs are done while I'm having a nap. That's why there's a lot of half-done jobs around the house at the moment.

Sometimes there's only half thought-out blog entries too!

No comments:

My life in pictures