Sunday 4 November 2007

Self soothing

I love cuddles from mum and dad when I'm feeling sad. But I've been doing my best to soothe myself when all isn't well.

I've road tested a couple of different comfort tools.

In the old days, when I was a wee baby, I would press the palm of my hand against the back of my head. Mum and dad first noticed this move in the car, and then later on inside when I was feeling sort of stressed. It was a handy non-verbal cue, and if they caught me in time, they could cuddle and coo and ahh before I pulled out the verbal cues.

These days it's all about the gurgle. I sometimes wake up in the night and if I'm not too hungry, I'll gurgle myself back to sleep. I gurgle on my playmat, and in the car too. Of course, sometimes a gurgle won't do and I'll need a bit more help, but it's a handy thing to try before I call for reinforcements.

No comments:

My life in pictures