Thursday 1 November 2007

Taking cues

I often get little frights.

Today mum was getting some ice out of the freezer and there was a big crash. I jumped, and started to screw up my face, as I do before I burst into 'I'm freaked out' cries. But mum looked me in the eye and coo'd and ahh'd and prevented a meltdown. Phew.

I've found myself taking behaviour cues from mum and dad. I'll lock my eyes onto theirs and if they smile and let me know everything's cool, then I'll relax.

When I have a shower with mum, dad will stand by and watch me, to make sure everything is ok. I'll stare at him with a concerned look, until he tells me everything's fine. Then I'll be dunked under the water, and look back at dad. He'll tell me everything's cool, I'll smile, and then I'll go under the water again.

If they're happy, I'm happy.

Sometimes it doesn't quite work. Dad was playing with me yesterday, and got a little too loud for my liking, and I screwed up my face, he coo'd and aah'd but it wasn't enough - I wailed and wailed. I even tried out some new cries - very high pitched. But I settled down a minute or so later and we went back to playing on the floor again. Quietly!

No comments:

My life in pictures